LinkedIn is the Rodney Dangerfield of social media: despite having 200 million highly influential subscribers, it gets no respect. Even though it is consistently ranked among social giants Facebook and Twitter, it doesn’t seem to get as much hype from the mainstream media. But as a tool for marketing your business, it comes with a huge edge over its widely used peers. Because unlike Facebook and Twitter, which regularly exchange cat photos, inane one-liners and political rants from nutty uncles, LinkedIn is all business.
How smart businesses are using LinkedIn
You operate a business. Your time and energy is scarce. Exactly why should you bother with LinkedIn? Listed below are some ways your peers (there are 1.3 million small-business owners on the network) are using it to their benefit:
- Sharing wins: Promoting your successes is just good marketing. It will make you look good to potential customers. With 2 million C-level executives utilizing the site, you may find yourself with a few influential new friends.
- Getting referrals: LinkedIn removes a great deal of the friction and awkwardness of giving and getting endorsements for the work you do. Best part? When someone gives you props on LinkedIn, everyone inside your network will notice in their activity feed.
- Finding new talent: Growing? LinkedIn is an excellent place—scratch that, it’s the BEST place—to locate new A players to add to your roster. It’s the single largest directory of working professionals in the world.
- Promoting events: LinkedIn’s event feature is a game changer! It’s never been so easy to spread the news and drum up excitement about upcoming events, sales and get togethers. You can also use their service directory to locate professional event planners to assist you.
- Boosting website traffic: A little-known secret about LinkedIn is that it’s very influential with Google; if you have a presence on LinkedIn, you’re likely to see a jump in search engine visibility, too. More clicks = more customers!
- Getting answers: LinkedIn is a goldmine for advice on building a successful business. You can uncover great advice from some of the savviest business minds in the world in LinkedIn Answers and Groups. You will discover over 2000 groups focused on small-business-related topics.
- Finding investors, vendors and partners: It’s a networker’s paradise. Whether you require some capital, a new accounting firm, or even a business partner, you’re not going to find a better resource than LinkedIn. Anywhere.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, people. Head over to LinkedIn and set up a page for your company or let us do it for you. Trust me; IT’S WORTH YOUR TIME.