5 Key Steps to Place Your Small Business Ahead of the Competition
Small business marketing isn’t for the faint of heart, but if you have been in marketing for more than two seconds, you know that. Marketing your business is dependent on doing some key factors well and these things will make or break a small business in this dog eat dog world we live in. Competition is intense and understanding how to make the most from your web pages is tricky.
Here are five necessary steps to get ahead of the game!
- Create a Marketing Plan – A detailed marketing plan is key to success. You don’t want to leave anything to chance. It should be well thought out. Pre-plan every marketing element, and how you intend to get it done. At the minimum, it ought to paint broad strokes to success.
- Social Media Marketing – Not just a time waster! Social media is often an enormous source of website traffic and new business. As outlined by MediaBistro.com, 91 percent of experienced social marketers see improved website traffic due to social media campaigns and 79 percent are generating more quality leads.
- Build a Mailing List – Countless businesses make the mistake of not collecting customer and prospect emails from the beginning. Email is far from dead. MarketingProfs.com tells us that email averages a return on investment of $40 for every $1 spent, far outstripping banner ads ($2) and keyword ads ($17). If you choose to neglect it, you’re leaving a large part of your potential profits up for grabs!
- Video Marketing – Connect to all the local traffic that’s out there trying to find your business. Video marketing in this space is a relatively untapped vein, and having a quick video advertising your wares on page one of Google may result in tons of traffic and authority coming your way! According to the research company Forrester, any given video stands about a 50x better chance of appearing on the first page of Google than any given text page.
- Gain a Mobile Presence – Microsoft reports that by 2014 mobile browsing will overtake desktop browsing. If your company doesn’t have a mobile presence, then you will become invisible. This means your small business’s website better start optimizing for mobile users and it had better get it done fast. Right now, the numbers are encroaching on the 50 percent mark. Are you ready?
Don’t Be a Superhero and Do It Alone!
None of us can do it all, particularly when it comes to the constantly changing realm of online marketing. Learn what’s working now, learn from the best you can afford, and hire the very best outsourcing you can get. It’ll pay off handsomely in the long run!